My daughter is a funny creature. One minute she is digging in the mud playing games with her big brother, getting completely filthy. The next she is setting up her baby dolls and dressing up as a princess.
Every morning when she takes her bath, she sets up her tea set and we have a tea party in the tub. She fills the cups with bubble bath and water and pretends to make tea for herself, and coffee for Mama. (She's a smart one... she knows how much her mother values a good cup of coffee!)
It occurred to me the other day, that she and I have never had a tea party outside of bath time. Weird. So while the boys were off doing boy things, she and I baked a batch of Oatmeal Strawberry Banana Scones and paired it with some herble tea. Though she was a bit dirty, and looked like a ruffian, she put on her party dress and we had ourselves a proper tea party.
2 cups white whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup half and half
1 banana mashed
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup diced strawberries (extra slices for topping option)
extra half and half and sugar for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until you have pea sized bits.
- Mix in sugar, salt, oats. Mix on medium speed in your electric mixer.
- Add in half and half, vanilla extract and banana. Mix on medium until its combined.
- Fold in diced berries.
- On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet pat your dough into a disk, about 1 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 large triangles (slice like a pizza).
- Slightly separate each scone about 1 inch from each other.
- Brush with half and half, and sprinkle with sugar. Top with a berry slice (optional).
- Bake for 10-14 minutes until they are golden brown.