Mother's Day weekend was filled with sunshine, warm temperatures, flowers, yard work, BBQ, craft cider, and of course my three lovelies. I could not have asked for a better weekend.
|Two of my three misfits and I on Mother's Day going for a walk in the woods with my parents.|
I really am not joking when I say, I destroyed this cake. I ate every last crumb, all on my own. It was delicious. The cake was moist, had a touch of lemon, the berries and rhubarb were sweetened with honey and just a bit of brown sugar. This cake is the perfect treat and it screams spring.
Honey and Lemon Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- 3 tbs melted butter
- 3 tbs honey
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp water
- one rhubarb stalk, either chopped small or sliced into thin sticks
- 2-4 large strawberries sliced thin
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbs grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon extract (or vanilla)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl mix melted butter, honey, brown sugar, water together until combined.
- Spread honey mixture into the bottom of an 8inch cake pan.
- Arrange sliced berries and rhubarb on top of the honey mixture.
- In a mixing bowl combine 2/3 cup sugar with 1/4 cup softened butter until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg, buttermilk, lemon extract, salt and lemon zest until smooth.
- Mix in flour and nutmeg.
- Spread batter evenly on top of the strawberry mixture.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 5 minutes, run a knife around the edges, and flip on to serving dish.
- Serve warm, with whipped cream. (optional)