The following blog post contains sponsored content. A huge thank you to my friends at Hellmann's Mayonnaise. Without the support of brands like theirs, we bloggers would not be able to take the time to create recipes for you all!
I don't own many cookbooks, the ones I do are near and dear to me. One of my favorites being a book of my grandmother's hand written recipes. There is something so comforting about these vintage classics and they never disappoint. The thing I love most about my grandmother's classic recipes, is that the ingredients are things I always have on hand, and they are super affordable.
There are a couple of cake recipes in her recipe book that my dad has always talked about, one being her Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. As a kid I used to turn my nose up at the idea of it. Mayo in cake? It just didn't seem right.
Now as an adult I know that mayonnaise is made out of simple ingredients that go into cake anyways. All cakes call for oil and eggs. Grandma's Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake is now one of my go to easy chocolate cake recipes. The ingredients are always on hand, the mayonnaise lends a light moist texture and it is affordable to make!
One of the of my New Year's goals is to make some cutbacks on my grocery bill. Feeding my family of 5 costs me about $300 per week! I would love to cut that bill down to $200-$250. A couple of the things I've started doing to help save some pennies, is writing an organized list. If it is not on the list and a must need... I don't buy it. Meal planning, typically I am a day to day meal planner, though I've found when I make a schedule and stick to it, I save on my grocery bill. I am also always on the look out for sales and coupons.
Hellmann's Mayonnaise is currently running a special offer at all Family Dollar Stores. This New Year is all about showcasing tips on how to “squeeze” the most out of your budget. Hellmann’s® Squeeze Mayo bottle at Family Dollar will help you start off on the right foot! Visit Family Dollar.com get $1 off Hellmanns® Squeeze Mayo and go to your nearest Family Dollar to redeem!
Great Ways to Save
Write your grocery store list so you don’t overspend or bring back the good old classic brown bag lunch. What are your money-saving ideas for the New Year? We already got ours in the bag!
- Write a grocery store list so you don’t overspend
- Bring a bagged lunch
- Preparing delicious yet inexpensive sandwiches for dinner once a week
To grab your Hellmann's Family Dollar Coupon click HERE.
Bring your appetite to the #FNIchat table because we’re bringing out the best to our very first exchange of 2014. Presented by @Hellmanns blue ribbon mayonnaise, we’ve got appetizers, casseroles, and stack after stack of deeelicious sandwich recipes all lined up for the food-focused tweetfest that is Foodies’ Night In. AND, we’ve got cost-saving tips and tricks for savvy grocery shopping in the New Year on deck too…
Come chat with us on Twitter, 1/6/2014 at 4pm EST! Topic: Squeezing the Most our of 2014 #FNIchat . For more info click HERE.
Chocolate Cake with Whipped Mocha Frosting
Recipe adapted from my Grandmothers handwritten recipe book
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled to room temp
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup unsalted room temperature butter
- 2 tbs instant coffee granules
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate- cooled slightly
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in vanilla, eggs, coffee and mayonnaise.
- Pour cake batter in to two 8 inch round greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool on a cooling rack.
- To prepare frosting, in the bowl of your electric mixer, whip butter and instant coffee granules together until fluffy.
- Turn mixer to medium/high speed and slowly pour in whipping cream and whip until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla extract and melted chocolate while whipping on medium/high speed.
- Turn mixer speed down to medium/low and slowly add in your powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until the frosting has reached your desired thickness.
- Once cakes have cooled, level the tops and frost as desired.
(Disclaimer: I received monetary compensation to write this post. However all opinions are 100% my own.)