You guys! I was in a movie. Well not really a movie, more of a short video. And it wasn't anything fancy. I plopped my DSLR on a tripod and recorded myself. Quickly losing the glamor isn't it?
I have had many many many fans email or comment saying they are afraid of tackling pie crust on their own. I've written many blog posts about how simple it is, and with a little practice, hand made pie crust is the best!
To show them how simple it truly is, I made a video. In 10 minutes, I whip up a double pie crust. A double pie crust can either make one double crusted fruit pie or perhaps two custard or cream pies. Now this video is a hot mess. Not only do I say SO.... and UMMMM 89419823759812749587 times. My dog interrupts us a couple of times. Then bumps the camera while I am talking and cuts me out of the picture. I was going to edit the video and cut it down a tad, but then I figured... leave it be. People can see what real life is like. And for the record this 10 minute video took about an hour to shoot. I want to thank my son Chase for having so much patience and for all the help!
So here it is.... a little homemade video on how to make homemade pie crust.
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (+ additional for rolling)
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs granulated sugar
- 2-4 tbs cold butter milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbs espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 2 cup fresh whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings for garnish
- To prepare crust, add flour, salt, and sugar into a large bowl. Toss with a fork.
- Cut butter into small cubes.
- Place butter into the bowl with your flour, give the cubes a toss so they are all evenly coated in flour.
- Then begin to "cut" the butter into your flour using your fingers. Work the butter into thin disks and small pieces.
- Once all the cubes are worked into the flour. Slowly pour buttermilk into the mixture. Start with 2 tbs and if dough appears too dry add a bit more. Careful not to make the dough too wet.
- When the dough appears shaggy, give it a few kneads so it comes together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and form a disk. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once dough has chilled. Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 13 inch circle and about 1/8 of an inch thick.
- Place dough into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Crimp edges as desired.
- Pierce dough lightly with a fork all around the sides and bottom. Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 415.
- Spray the bottom of a pieces of tinfoil or parchment paper with baking spray.
- Place the piece on the inside of the crust. Making sure it goes all the way up the sides of your crust.
- Fill crust with dried beans or pie weights.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until crust has cooked through and evenly browned.
- If the crust appears to not be as cooked or browned on the bottom. Remove weights from the crust and return to the oven until it is evenly browned.
- Allow crust to cool completely
- To prepare your chocolate filling, in a mixing bowl whisk eggs, egg yolk, sugar, brown sugar coco powder, espresso powder, corn starch and salt together.
- Slowly pour in milk and half and half while constantly whisking.
- Once everything is smooth and lump free. Pour into a medium sauce pan over medium/low heat.
- Constantly whisk the pudding mixture until it comes to a low boil.
- Remove from heat and pour into your cooled pie crust.
- Place pie in the refrigerator for about 3 hours or until pudding has cooled and has set.
- Top with whipped cream and optional chocolate shavings and serve!
Kirsten / Comfortably Domestic – Mile High Apple Pie
Katie / The Hill Country Cook – New Mexico Apple Pie
Anne / From My Sweet Heart – Cranberry Cherry Ricotta Pie
Haley / The Girlie Girl Cooks – Coconut Cream Pie
Jeanne / Inside NanaBread’s Head – Black and White Coconut Tart
Mads / La Petite Pancake – Pineapple Pie
Monica / The Grommom – Papaya Pie
Carrie / Bakeaholic Mama – Chocolate Cream Pie
Kat / Tenaciously Yours – Grandma’s Chocolate Pie
Kirsten / Comfortably Domestic – Maple Sweet Potato Pie with Toasted Swiss Meringue
Shanna / Pineapple Coconut – Boozy Pumpkin Egg Nog Pie
Carrie / Bakeaholic Mama – Sweet Potato Tartlets
Christina / Buffy and George – Deep Dish Apple Pie
Madeline / Munchin in the Mitten – Sweet Potato Pie
Allison / Decadent Philistines - Refrigerator Pumpkin Porter Chocolate Pie with Toasted Pumpkin Marshmallow "Meringue"
Lauren / Climbing Grier Mountain - Mini Butternut Squash Pie Stacks with Marshmallow Frosting
Megan / Country Cleaver - Biscoff Pie with Whiskey Mallow Fluff
Shanna / Pineapple Coconut - Persimmon, Pear and Brandy Pie with Vanilla Bean Crumble
Kirsten / Comfortably Domestic – Very Berry Cherry Pie