It's been a long month. I want to win my husbands heart over tonight, to make up for the nights of neglect. I've been working so much between blog and kid school stuff. He gets little to no attention these days. So I made him a pumpkin roll. The man loves himself some pumpkin roll.
Now most wives would probably go buy something at Victoria Secret, perhaps get all dolled up. Not me. I bake.
However I have to say, I may not be smokin' hot tonight, but this pumpkin roll damn sure is.
This is similar to the traditional pumpkin roll. I've made it a tad more rich by adding brown sugar and maple syrup. Not only is it filled with a brown sugar cream cheese frosting, I topped it with a maple glaze as well.
Pumpkin rolls are quite easy to make and they are so fun to cut and serve. Something about that swirl makes them look fancy huh? Though easy, if you are not careful your roll could turn into a disastrous mess. Pumpkin Rolls need to be assembled in a particular fashion. if not they will crack and you will end up with a cakey mess. For instance, if you do not flip the cake out onto a sugar lined towel immediately after removing from the oven. Your cake might crack while you roll it. This happened to me slightly because Mads fell off a chair as soon as I was in pumpkin roll mode. My cake cooled for about 5-10 minutes before I rolled it. It then cracked! So don't do what I did kids..... don't let the thing cool.
Maple Brown Sugar Pumpkin Roll
Cake adapted from Libby's Pumpkin Roll, Frosting and Glaze are my own
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk (only if needed)
For the topping:
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- Pre heat oven to 375.
- Mix in eggs and pumpkin puree, and mix until just combined.
- Mix your dry ingredients into the egg and pumpkin mixture until incorporated.
- Line a 15x10 jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with a non stick baking spray.
- Spread cake batter over prepared ban.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the cake is cookie through.
- While baking, spread a clean tea towel out on your counter top ( something made of linen and has not fuzzy fibers)
- Immediately turn cake out onto your towel.
- Roll cake up in the towel (skinny side up) until you have a log place on cooking rack to cool completely.
To prepare your filling:
- In the bowl of your electric mixer on medium speed, mix brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and salt, together. Slowly mixing powdered sugar in until you have a thick frosting.
- If it gets too thick add in a tsp of milk if needed.
To prepare you topping:
- Whisk powdered sugar and maple syrup together.
- Unroll cake and spread cream cheese frosting over the top.
- Drizzle/spread maple glaze over the top.
- Refrigerate for about two hours.
- Slice and then serve!